Tuesday, February 21, 2012

furniture arrangement: Need help




I have been SO incredibly lucky to have Kristin, a designer, helping me with my house. I am posting these pictures for Kristin to see the tiny changes I have made to decide on next steps.

In this picture, I moved the greenish couch to where the red couch was and shifted the red couch to the other wall. The great thing about your suggestion Kristin, was that the red couch isn't quite as big which allowed me to move the living room area down about a foot and gave lots more room for the dining room table. I really don't like the red couch body, but it can hold the spot until I can get a sectional. I also think that the balance is better, as you suggested.

Also notice, that I moved the striped club chair that was sitting next to the buffet and used a couple of the dining room chairs. There are usually three dining room chairs on each side of the dining room table. I always end up taking one out unless we need to seat 8, and this way, the table is set for 6 and not crowded on the sides.


 Here is the dining room table now, not at an angle. I tried moving it the other direction as you suggested, but it came out so far into the room that there was only a couple of feet between the end of the table and the buffet. It was a barrier to getting to the other side of the room. I could move the buffet away completely???
I also tried to put the table on the side where the buffet is, but it was smack in the opening between the two rooms where the stairs drop into the big room.
Ugh!
Does it look better this way, rather than at the angle before?
I still think I want to put the buffet where the desk is in that cubby. What do you think?
I'm thinking to move the desk where the china cupboard is in the 'parlor' or get rid of it??

Here is a shot of the dining room table looking at the buffet. You can see the dining room chair next to it, and there is another one at the other side of the buffet. I neglected to get it in the shot.


Here is the flow of the room now. What do you think?



Too much sun coming in when I was taking these...I don't like how low the back is on the red couch, but it will eventually be replaced.




Okay, so now for the chair arrangements:
Here is one option with the three chairs as you look into the parlor from the living room. We'll call this Option A: What I don't like about option A is that from the kitchen the chair with its back to the kitchen doesn't allow for the parlor seating to feel like it's part of the conversation in the kitchen.
Note: When 'we' get this all figured out, I will move the antler chandelier so it hangs over the coffee table in the parlor...wherever that turns out to be!
You suggested maybe switching the antler chandelier with the one above the dining room table. My husband says that will be really hard. However, if you think it would be better, he is game.


Option A from the kitchen:

Another shot of Option A from kitchen (sorry again about all the light coming in the window)

Option A from the other side of the room

Last shot of Option A as you look into the kitchen



We'll call this next arrangement Option B:
This was one you suggested and I like the flow from the kitchen into the 'parlor' better. Do you? Really easy to move around. I wish the wall from the opening into the big room was deeper. It's only about 47 inches so hard to not cover up the door opening.


Another shot of Option B from the kitchen



Option B as seen from the living room:


Option B from the other side of the parlor area (back bedrooms behind me)


This is now Option C from the kitchen. Not real different from Option B, except that there is one chair on the left and two on the right. Do you think the three chairs are weird? There just isn't room for a fourth chair...sure wish there was! (You have to picture a round coffee table there.)

Another shot of Option C

Yet another shot of Option C from the living room


And another:

 Do you like the cowhide rug? Notice the longer curtains? I took down the valance. These curtains are a reddish color. Would you go with a dark brown or light curtain or do you like this color? You can't tell in the photo, but they are a pretty thin fabric and I think I'll look for something like a micro suede? I think heavier fabric would be better.
In this photo you see Option C and the china cupboard. This is where I was thinking of moving the desk. I was going to paint the desk black, then red, then sand it. What do you think?
Do you think the angle of the chairs works in Option C?


Guess I had one more of Option C. Not sure the lamp works right here...

Coffee table I am considering: Copper top...would allow the rug to show.


So, I moved the chair up from the living room to see if it would work. The reason I did this is because this lighter colored leather chair is one of those that isn't as big as a love seat, but I think they call it a chair and a half. It easily fits two people. I'm a bit worried that with three chairs it will be awkward with company when you can't have four people sitting there. I think there would be room for a love seat where the light leather chair is. They have a love seat in the same leather as the chairs I got.
You suggested a love seat under the window with the two chairs flanking it. Hmmm? Unfortunately, the place where I got the chairs won't let you return furniture. So if I got the love seat, I would have to keep it.
This lighter colored oversized chair doesn't work does it? I think the furniture all needs to be the same? What do you think?

Here's another shot with the light leather chair.

 And one more...
 And another...

Paint: I tried a swatch of 'Twig Branch'. Impossible to tell in a photo. It wasn't a good time of day when I did this. I was surprised that it looked so gray, as after my bedroom, I didn't think gray was so good with the knotty pine. I thought it might be greener. Wondering if I should try a different color?

 Another shot. Funny...it looks greener in the photo than it does in person. I DO like having color on this wall and am incredibly excited to get it painted. I think it's going to really balance that long wall and look great! Not sure whether to do just the long wall, or all the walls in the living room. What do you think? Start with the long wall and then decide? Would you also paint the cubicle at the top that has the american flag?

Just for you to be thinking about. Here are some shots of the bedroom. It's a bit of a mess, as I've been putting all the furniture from the living room that doesn't fit in here until I figure it all out.
I really thought I would like the gray walls, but it just isn't right. You also see that the bed is kitty-cornered (not sure if that is how that is spelled!). The reason I did this is that I like to be able to see out the window from bed. Also, if I move the bed into the other area of the room, it blocks the flow. I wish I could draw the floor plan of the room so you could see, but not sure how to do that.
The door to the bedroom is off that long wall in the living room nearest to the tv cabinet. You walk in to the bedroom and most of the space is to your left.

Terrible picture because it is so dark. Too much light coming in, but you can see that the bed is kitty-cornered.

Another shot to see the bed. This is from the doorway coming in to the bedroom from the living room.

This shot is from the bathroom door. 

Fireplace. Photo taken just as you enter the bedroom and look left.

This shot if from the bed looking toward the bedroom door going into living room. This tall armoire houses a tv. The trunk is in the corner of the living room now. I wondered about putting the headboard on that wall. But see how it cuts the room in half then? You would have to walk around the bed to get to the rest of the room. I guess I could put the headboard on that wall and push it really close to the fireplace, but would it cover up the fireplace too much?

You can just see the corner of the airmore here and the end of the bed.

Taken from the fireplace. The door you see to the left of the dresser is the bathroom. This is what I meant about most of the room all being to your left when you walk into the room.

Photo taken as you walk in. The doors on the right are to the bathroom. The doors are two narrow doors, like a french door.

No expectations that we solve the bedroom yet! Just providing photos for you to think about. I don't think the gray wall color works with the knotty pine. What do you think?

Fireplace:
Here is the fireplace in the living room. My best friend gave me this wreath and I really like it (though it was for Christmas) because it has antlers, pheasant feathers, rustic stuff on it. I think having something with light is good on the stone. I'm lucky because the mantel has an outlet. 
It is challenging because the mantel is so high. We had the mantle replaced with the heavy pine board as it was a really contemporary mantel before. There is no way to lower it. The rock goes all the way to the ceiling and it is high. When you stand in front of the fireplace the mantel is over your head.
I'm struggling to figure out how to decorate the mantel.


I have a set of snowshoes to the side, but maybe I should hang these above the mantel?


I also have an old fishing basket, a canoe oar (you can just see the handle here) large pinecone, spurs, old wood box



This is a closer view of the mantle. I have a garland with white lights left from Christmas, some aspen logs with candles on top and a single candle. You can just see the top of the oar on the right side.

This is the fireplace in the bedroom. It has the more contemporary mantel. Paint it? I also could paint the gold on the fireplace to black? This mantel is lower (thank goodness). I have a mirror propped up there now.


Whew! That's a lot for you to think about!!!
Having everything really work is SO important to me. I feel so blessed to have found a home we love, now if I could get it decorated to really show it off to its greatest potential!
THANK YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment